- Servings : 6-8
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 1:30 h
Ingredients I used
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (About 2-3 tablespoons or so)
- 18- 24 medium prawns peeled and deveined
- 8 -12 Chicken wings
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages cut into about ¼ pieces. You can use a sweet Portuguese sausage if available
- 1 pound of mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
- 1 pound of manila clams, or littleneck clams
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ jar of puree tomatoes, about 400-500 ml
- 1/2 cup of white wine. I always us unoaked Chardonnay
- 2 1/2 cups bomba rice (I used Arborio because it was available)
- About ½ litre to ¾ litre of chicken stock (I like to make mine but any low sodium stock will work)
- 2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika (I used Hungarian because of availability)
- A pinch of saffron
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- A bunch of chopped fresh Italian parsley (you can use cilantro as well)
- A couple of lemons, cut into wedges
How I made this
In a large Paella pan on medium-high heat, add the sliced sausage to the pan and seared until slightly crusted. Remove the sausage and set aside. With the oils from the sausage still in the pan, add the onion and cooked for about 3-4 minutes. Once the onion is softened add the garlic and cook for about another 2 minutes, continually stirring so the garlic does not burn. Add about a table spoon of extra virgin olive oil and then added the rice. Stir the rice until it gets a little sticky and then deglazed the pan with the white wine. Turn the heat up to high and then start to add the pureed tomatoes, stirring into the rice. Once the rice begins to cook, start to add the chicken stock about ¼ cups at a time and stir in for about 10 minutes. I added in the paprika and saffron and stirred until dissolved into the rice and liquid and added the remainder of the chicken stock. I seasoned with a little salt and pepper to taste remembering that there is still sea food and shell fish to be added later. I placed the pan in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
Heat a grill/BBQ to medium-high heat. Add chicken wings to a bowl, drizzle with some of the extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill for about 10-12 minutes or until completely cooked. Then set aside.
I removed the Paella pan from the oven, added the BBQ chicken wings, live mussels, live clams and raw prawns to the rice mixture trying to place them evenly around the pan so they stick out of the rice half way. I placed the pan back in the oven for about another 6-10 minutes, or until all the sea food were fully cooked and shell fish were opened.
I removed from the oven, cut lemon into wedges and placed them around the pan. Add chopped flat leaf parsley or fresh chopped cilantro and served.