Vietnamese Spring Rolls2014-08-23
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
The ingredients I use
- 1 cup of dried wood ear mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups grated carrots (4 to 5 carrots)
- 1 lb. ground pork (We grind our own but would recommend lean ground pork)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Fresh Cracked black pepper
- About tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 lb. shrimp/Prawns in shell, peeled and deveined
- 25 – 50 (8-inch) square frozen spring roll pastry wrappers, thawed
- 1 large egg beaten
- Julienned Carrots, about 3 medium size carrots
- About 6 cups canola oil
How we make it
Put mushrooms in a bowl and cover with hot water by several inches. We soaked them for about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse mushrooms thoroughly, then drain again. Finely chop mushrooms.
Pulse shallot and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped, and then add carrots, pork, sugar, pepper, and salt. Pulse shrimp in processor until coarsely ground. Add shrimp to noodle mixture. Mix with your hands until well combined.
I added about 1 table spoons of filling to the wrapper and lightly brush the surrounding area of the wrapper with egg wash to hold it together and rolled the spring roll until it was formed like you see in the pick.
Once all rolled, I heated the oil in a pot to about 365-370 degrees and deep-fried the rolls.